Although we are well into winter, it's important for Aussies to know that it's just as important to protect our eyes on these cold gloomy days as those scorching sunny moments.
There are harmful UVA, UVB and UVC rays 365 days a year that we need to save our eyes from!
While many may look at sunglasses as simply a way to block the sun or reduce glare for better driving or playing sport, the benefits go much further.
Director of Marketing APAC & Middle East for Maui Jim, Nathan Fisher shares the top five reasons why your eyes will suffer this winter if you don't protect them!
1. Where’s the one place you can’t apply sunscreen? Your eyes!! This leaves the thin, delicate skin around your eyes, as well as your eyes themselves, unprotected. In fact, 5 to 10% of all skin cancer occurs around the eyes. Look for the Skin Cancer Foundation seal the next time you shop for sunglasses, and select a high quality pair of polarised sunglasses to help protect the area around your eyes from harm.
2. Allow you to see better in the dark. No, not by wearing your sunglasses at night. It’s about the time it takes your eyes to adjust from light to dark. Bright sunlight bleaches the photoreceptors and lengthens the time it takes your eyes to adjust to the dark. Normally, your eyes should adapt fully to the dark within 30 minutes. Being in bright sunlight for two to three hours can delay the adaptation by hours though so by protecting our eyes, we shorten that adaptation period making us better night drivers, skiers and dog walkers!
3. Sunglasses are not just for bright sunny days: The exposure of walking to and from the car, driving to work or just going for short walk can damage the eyes. To combat the harmful effects of the sun, we should wear a pair of quality polarized sunglasses because they block out harmful UV rays and eliminate glare.
4. Age-proof your eyes! Leaving the eyes exposed can cause premature ageing. Potential damage from UV rays includes sunburns on the eye’s surface, cataracts, macular degeneration and even cancer of the eye and surrounding skin. In addition, this delicate skin is the first place we form wrinkles so protecting the eye area keeps us younger for longer.
5. Wearing non-protective sunglasses is actually worse than going without. If sunglasses offer shade but don’t offer UVA and UVB protection, they’ll cause your eyes to dilate (pupils get larger) which exposes your eyes to more of those harmful rays.
Why Maui Jim?
Maui Jim sunglasses have been recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation as an effective UV filter for the eyes and surrounding skin. They’re the only premium sunglasses brand with the Skin Cancer Foundation’s seal of approval.